It's that time again to recycle your Christmas tree! Before recycling your tree, please remove all decorations, tinsel, and stand. Trees must be cut in half, stands removed, and placed in the green yard trimmings container, or if you are unable to cut in half, place your tree at the curb for collection. The Bureau of Sanitation offers several tree drop-off locations. Drop-off locations are open for ONE DAY ONLY between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 2, 2011.
HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS:
- Test your smoke alarms.
- Make a fresh cut on the bottom of the tree.
- Place tree in a reservoir type tree stand and water daily.
- Check light cords for frays or empty sockets.
- Use no more than three sets of UL-approved lights per extension cord.
- Do not use candles on or near your tree.
- Turn off all Christmas lights prior to leaving your home or going to bed.
- Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry.
- Remove all ornaments, cut and place tree in green disposal container at curb. If you can’t cut the tree, place it at the curb for collection, or bring it to one of the City's drop-off locations.
- Flocked trees cannot be recycled, cut the flocked tree and place it in the black container or place it at the curb.