Please see the announcement of a new LA County program launched to help seniors and others vulnerable to COVID-19:
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the California Safer at Home Initiative, a temporary free grocery delivery program for seniors and people with disabilities was launched in Los Angeles County to help residents with disabilities and who are more vulnerable to the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
The countywide program, called CRITICAL DELIVERY SERVICE (CDS), will deliver groceries, household items, and other necessities to those who are unable to leave their homes due to the COVID-19 pandemic or underlying health conditions and may be vulnerable to suffering potentially lethal complications from the illness.
The Critical Delivery Service will be available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Items may be delivered 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- There is no delivery cost to the client.
- No application process is required, but items ordered must be pre-paid and ready for pickup.
- Deliveries may be scheduled by calling 1-888-863-7411 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays.
- Clients may utilize this service up to 4 times or 40 miles per month, whichever comes first.
The service was launched by the L.A. County Department of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services with the support of the L.A. County Board of Supervisors.
California’s 40 million residents have been ordered to stay at home to stop the spread of COVID-19, but exceptions are made for essential needs like gathering groceries. Many stores have established senior shopping hours, allowing seniors to shop in less crowded stores.
How can deliveries be scheduled?
- Call 888-863-7411 to request delivery service
- Order items for delivery via online/phone and provide payment for items to the pick-up location
- Critical Delivery Service Coordinator will schedule a taxi driver to deliver your items to you
- Critical Delivery Service Coordinator will call you back to confirm the delivery has been scheduled
- To schedule deliveries, call hotline Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Same-day deliveries are available only during scheduled hours.
L.A. County’s new program is one step to helping people ensure that they still have access to basic essentials.
James Brown, LBNC Chair – Health & Public Safety